Pages

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Waiting Until 30

You may remember me posting about going to a birthday party for my friends baby who just turned one.

Well something happened there that has been weighing on my mind lately. Why is it that people think they know what is best for you and have no problem putting their two cents in on personal choice?! I was quite weirded out by one particular conversation that was had.

What am I talking about? The personal choice to start having children.

So there are 4 couples sitting around joking about life and relationships while two babies play around with the newly opened gifts on the rug. Everything is going fine until that stupid question comes up.

"So what about you two? When are you going to start having kids?"

I almost choked on soda. I hate those types of questions. Especially when you know you're about to hear an annoying lecture on it. I tried to be blunt and matter of fact about it by stating that we have made the choice to wait until after we are 30. This was not received well. They immediately wanted to know why on earth we would do that.

Here's just a few reasons why...

a) Children are a 24hrs, 7 days a week, 365 days a week x forever.
b) I want to be in a relationship a few years before marrying and married for a few years before having children
c) We want to travel for extended time periods (one year or more)
d) We want to make sure we have our finances in order
e) We want to have our careers in order
f) Because thats what we are comfortable with and its our lives and our bodies

This of course was met with typical answers.

You will be 50 when they move out! - Ok, and your point is?
Kids travel and eat free - That is not a reason to have kids
You are putting your child's health at risk - I plan to very healthy at 30 and I'm sure it will be fine (ps the woman saying this has one child under 2 and is 32)

I could go on and on with the responses back and forth but in the end.. its my choice. I don't think anyone has the right to tell me when I should have children if I even have them at all. Thats right! I said it! I may decide at 30 I don't really want children and that will be my choice.


Ugh! Sorry to rant! Just had to get that one off my chest!

I guess I'll just have to avoid kidlet parties where all the moms are talking about the best positions to conceive a boy in. Lol!

2 comments:

Canadian Saver said...

OMG, I can't believe they said that kids travel and eat for free!!!

I hate questions like that too..... some people shouldn't stick their noses where they don't belong......

(And it now seems like the in thing to have kids in your mid-30s or more)

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

bloody crap abt diff positions = sex of baby

it's not something that can be controlled *rolls eyes*

idiots.