Pages

Monday, March 24, 2008

Finding Money Mondays - 6

Only use bank machines that are affiliated with your bank!!

It shocks me how many people do not realize they are being double charged when they do this. I guess they either don't read their bills, they have this fee covered by their banks, or WORSE they just don't care.

I hate this fee. The ATM fee.

Let me tell you something. When you use another banks machine it usually indicates that you will be charged a fee for the convenience of getting "quick and easy" access to cash now. What a lot of people surprisingly don't know is that you then in turn get charged from your bank as well.

So lets say you are charged $1.50 by the ATM for convenience and then you are also charged another $1.50 from your bank. So that equals out to.... $3.00.

Wow! So if you are just getting a quick $20 out that just cost you 15%.

Ouch! That's ugly.

The moral of the story is plan ahead. Avoid using other banks ATM machines at all costs. No laziness on this one folks. It's just not worth it.

If you go online you check your banks website for branches or ATM's in your area or the area you'll be traveling too.

2 comments:

Canadian Saver said...

I had no choice in college because there weren't any credit unions like mine in Nova Scotia (I live in NB)... but back then the fees weren't what they are today!!

99.5% in the last 8 years I've only taken money out of my credit union (and the others like it) but my sister is still bad for that!!!

I try to show her the bank statements but she won't listen. And you are right, it does add up bigtime!!

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

I either never use cash if I don't have it
Or I always use credit/debit cards
Or I take out cash ONLY from MY bank (CIBC or PC)
Or I just don't buy anything :)..

Option 4 is my fave :P stops me from starbucks frenzies