Pages

Friday, October 3, 2008

Just Call Me Rabbit


Cuz I hop around! Today has already had a lot of up and downs and its only 11:30am. Considering the 2 hours I spent on the bus a lot has happened already.

I woke this morning to pouring rain again. I sucked it up and got ready to go in record time. Today my boss asked me to come in a half hour early to help out. I said yes yesterday not knowing that it would mean I would have to take a different bus route which extended my travel time from 30 mins to an hour and 30 mins. Boo! By the time my first bus came I was soaked.

On the way to work I walked past a Rotten Ronalds and really wanted an egg mcmuffin but decided to hurry and get there a little early to help out. Big mistake! My boss was late!!!! The store opens at 9am and she got there at 9:20. WTF?!? She said she forgot it was her that was opening. Meanwhile I was stuck outside with delivery men and customers that were pissed right off.

Once we got inside she started taking out her frustrations on me. Remember, I only worked 4 hours yesterday so this was going on my fifth hour of employment. I tried to grin and bear it, thinking in the back of my mind that I couldn't wait to call the portrait studio back.

Then another coworker came in even later than my boss was. My boss was livid! She kept calling us together and reaming us out. She kept telling me how privileged I should feel that I was able to have a Monday to Friday spot with 40 hours and how I was really going to have to pick up the pace. I seriously think this woman has some mental issues. I'm not even joking when I say that. There is some real problems in that store and I think I know where they stem from. Yeesh!

She even talked about me to the other coworker within hearing range! I was working and ran out of stuff to do so I went into the back to ask her what I should be doing next. She freaked out and was upset I didn't know what to do and accused me of being a daydreamer and time waster. THAT was when I said very nicely " I don't think this is going to work out."

She demanded I follow her to the office where she gave me a big lecture of which I had to cut her off and tell her that I wasn't interested in working there. She kept giving excuses for the state of the store and her behavior but I wasn't having it. I finally said "Look, I'm going to go get my things and leave. I'm not coming back. I'm sorry."

She asked me if I expected to be paid for the time I worked. WTF?!?! I told her yes and that she could send it to me. BOY OH BOY!

I went and got my things and headed across the street to where the studio is located. I was just in time to catch her before opening. She asked me to come back in twenty minutes to fill out paperwork.

Just like that ladies and gentlemen the job was mine. I have to take in a voided cheque this weekend so my paperwork can be processed Monday morning and then I'll get my start date. I am so happy!!! This is a skill I really want to pick up and could use in the future. I have always dreamed of having a small portrait studio in my own home later on when I have children of my own. This will be a great experience for me and the staff is amazing. Yay me!

****
I said I wasn't going to talk about work anymore but people have asked me to so I'm still writing about it. If you have a problem with it... don't read the "employment" posts cuz your negative comments are not welcome.

7 comments:

Nathaniel Christopher said...

Way to assert yourself. Under no circumstance should you put up with abuse.

I don't know where some employers get off treating their employees like slaves or wayward children.

I'm glad you put an end to her power trip!\

Best blog entry EVER!!

Shevy said...

Let me get this straight: YOU were early. The Boss was LATE. And SHE was reaming YOU out and telling you that you were lucky to have a job.

That's gotta be one for the record books.

Enjoy the portrait studio! Even crying kids who won't sit still has to be better than the other.

Laura said...

Cool about the costume. We will have to send pics back and forth and see how similar and different we end up looking. Frugal costumes are the best!

Anonymous said...

Congrats with new job!As others said I think you did the right thing by leaving other place.

Canadian Saver said...

Dolly, I really enjoy reading about your employment woes!! I don't blame you for walking out of there at all!

Good luck at the studio :-) There has to be the perfect job for you somewhere, hopefully this is it!

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you! You absolutely did the right thing!!

Dolly Iris said...

Thank you for your support everyone! It means a lot to me.