Pages

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Relaxing

Yesterday I started off the day doing some laundry, tending to the garden and making lunch for BF and I. We played some video games together and tried to relax for a bit. Part way into the day I got a call from my mother who told me she heard sister's boyfriend go outside on the phone and turn down work because he said he had to take care of my sisters kids. WTF!!

Then my mom told me she found out that in the last three days he had spent about $500 of my sisters hard earned dollars on crap without telling her. THEN she told me that the reason he hasn't been calling before coming over is because he said their phone was broken. Turns out that after my mom went to their house and made him call Shaw their phone wasn't broken... they just needed to pay the damn bill. *sigh Her boyfriend didn't think of that though. Instead when he thought the phone wasn't working he went out and spent another $100 or so on a new phone. Oh geez!

I told my mom that this was stuff my sister needed to know. Her EFund will soon be drained, there will be no money and nobody working. I can't believe he turned down a job after all of this. It gets worse though... he's been having my mom take care of niece during the day (with her broken hand - mom), saying he's taking care of things like having their van fixed before the warranty runs up but instead he's doing nothing! My mom asked him to bring some of the kids laundry over so that they could have some clean clothes and maybe some... I dont' know ... socks!! They are always barefooted. She had to basically stand over him to get him to do it and when she walked away he packed up mostly clothes for my sister and him... no socks for the kidlets. ARGH!!!

Then he called me part way through the day and demanded I go to his house to watch his kids while he ran errands. I asked him why he couldn't bring them to my house and he said the baby was sleeping. I told him I'd have to call him back. I talked to my BF who at this point knew everything that was happening and was not willing to be suckered in. I called my sisters boyfriend back and said "ok, if you want me to watch your kids then you have to bring them here. I'm working on my own household chores I couldn't get done all week. If you don't want to do that then I guess you'll have to schedule your errands around baby's naptime." Then he pretty much hung up on me. How nice!

So BF and I decided to let it slide off our shoulders. We played some more video games, cleaned up and then went out to dinner at a Chinese smorgasbord with a friend. Afterwards we went back to our friends house, had some drinks and watched Kenny vs Spenny. It was so nice to just relax.

Today the rain is pouring and I still have a lot more to do around here so I guess thats what's on the agenda except for maybe some grocery shopping. Thanks again for all your supportive comments!

4 comments:

SavingDiva said...

Money & family...so frustrating!

Shevy said...

You sister's BF sounds like worse and worse news. He's spent $500 of her money and *isn't* using it to pay overdue bills, is using the kids as an excuse not to work, etc.

Sis needs to know this (though I don't suppose it's going to make her feel better) but think how she'd feel if she gets out of hospital in a few weeks and discovers that he's spent every penny of her money, alienated all of you guys, hasn't paid a thing and has run up tons of new bills.

Depending on how serious it is, maybe sis could give your mother power of attorney and block him off of whatever is left of the money.

And, at the very least he should return the phone and get your sis her $100 back!

DogAteMyFinances said...

He sounds like a real winner.

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

They are HIS kids too right? NOt step?

WTF... what an awful father.

Seriously SHe sounds like she's in trouble... I hope she works it out (tell her to read my post from a reader about this very topic)