Pages

Monday, June 9, 2008

Planning Ahead

I've been a little upset with myself over the loss of my job. Not because I feel I did anything to cause it but because I didn't leave myself with any other prospects for income just in case things fell through, like they did. I always think about ways to bring in extra money but I never put plan into action. Right now I'll have to take whatever comes first to get some money coming in while I look for something suitable. To avoid being in this situation again I want to find some extra ways to bring in money.


Here are a few ideas that I've brainstormed over the past few days.


Try to sell some handmade treasures online. I've been checking out EtSy.com for awhile now and they look like a pretty good site to get me started. I read somewhere on their site though that you need a credit card when you sign up which would be a problem because I don't have a credit card and don't think I could get one. I do have plans to get a secured credit card once my debt is paid to rebuild my credit rating but I obviously don't have money right now to do so.

Get on the wait list for a paper route in my neighbourhood. Okay, this sounds a little silly but I think it would be a good way for me to get some exercise daily and make a little cash on the side.

Advertise for pet/homesitting. I advertised online once and got a response but then didn't know what to charge or really what I was doing at all. ;) Maybe I should research this a little more and find out what it entails before trying again. BF and I really would like a pet, but can't get one due to our big move expected in just over a year.

Mystery Shopper. I've been reading on Krystal's blog about her secret shopping experiences and it sounds pretty fun. I saw an advertisement for another company in a local paper. I've looked at the applications but never know what to write when they ask you to describe a recent shopping experience. Any suggestions?

So there's a few ideas. Anybody have any others to offer?

6 comments:

Canadian Saver said...

If you're in the city, definitely look into pet sitting or pet walking. People spend insane amounts of money on their pets, so this could be a good business venture!

Good luck... all your other options sound good too. I'd do the mystery shopping one if it didn't mean having to drive 30 minutes to the city, each way.

Laura said...

Regarding writing about a shopping experience. Maybe you could start with the setting: the aisles were cluttered or clean, the music played at the right or wrong volume level and it was the right kind of music for the store. The lighting was too bright, to dim, just right...then you could describe the sales people: were they helpful? professional? approachable? And then describe what you were looking for and if you could easily find it or an alternative or was the store just too chaotic to find anything? Also in the intro describe what kind of store it is, what it sells etc.

PS how is your garden? I am going to update later on mine. It's been raining here for weeks on end it seems so my garden has enough water, but I need SUN!!

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

How about Payperpost? or just a regular job at Chapters or Starbucks? Or is this a second income thing?

Esme said...

I'm sorry to hear about your job. I've been reading your posts for the last little while and it did not sound like a fun environment to work in. I'm sure you'll find something you like.

Another suggestion I can add is how about monetizing your blog, like AdSense or Social Spark?

Dolly Iris said...

Canadian Saver - I live in small city on Vancouver Island but I think I could find some work pet sitting. I just don't know what to charge?

Arual - Thanks! Those are great suggestions for the mystery shopper questions. The garden is not liking the all rain no sun. I think something is eating the leaves. I've been taking pics but haven't been uploading them. I promise to update the other blog before or on the weekend.

Fabulous - I'm thinking of extra things I can do while having a full time job. I do PayPerPost but find it very inconsistent.

Esme - Thank you for your comments regarding my job loss. I'm hoping I'll find something better too. I signed up for Social Spark but have only had one post opp and it's been waiting to be reviewed for over two weeks.
I'm going to look into Adsense though. Any tips?

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

OHHH

in that case, umm.... I can only think of things to do on the weeknights or weekends like working at retail places.

OH!

how about book keeping?