Pages

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Dolly's Doings

Today I found out that I did not get the portrait studio job because of my availability. It would have been alright except the other person working there changed hers at the last second causing me to not get the job :( However, the woman was so impressed with me that she was very apologetic and asked if I would be interested in coming to work for her in the fall when she needs more staff. She told me she wanted to hire me very badly and wished that the schedules didn't conflict the way they did. I told her that would be fine because I really did want the job and was pretty disappointed not to get it.

I had my interview with the bakery yesterday which went well. The owner called me last night to tell me I had got the job. I was happy but not really that enthusiastic about it. For some reason when I got there I had a weird feeling. The owners are a couple maybe a little older than me and they are extremely nice but I couldn't shake this feeling that I just didn't really want to be there. The sad part is I took this job because it would work out perfectly with the studio job and now that I didn't get that I don't really want it.

Beggars can't be choosers but the owner told me he had called everyone who didn't get the job out of fairness. So now I feel like if I change my mind I've put him in a bad spot. It was considerate of him to do that for the other applicants but kind of dumb business wise. It's just the fact that now I will have to find a job that fits around the bakery schedule which I don't really care for because its not very many hours and I have to work every second Saturday which I hate. Plus, the money is poor but I was willing to take it because of the other job. What a situation I've put myself in!

So I'm job hunting again. My mother has offered to take me around tomorrow or the next day to drop off resumes so I can get around easier and get it all done in one day. I have a list of places to apply at.

I also have managed to pick up some work through my friends mother's landscaping company. I viewed a property Sunday night and did 4 hours there yesterday. I got a bad sunburn (I'm an idiot) and so I'm taking today off since its raining anyway. I will be back there tomorrow after the business closes to do some more work. I will be able to get small jobs from her over the summer so it sounds good.

Seeing the amount of work turned down by the landscaping company due to lack of time really got my motors running. My best friend also has her own company but since her husband got a great paying job at the mill they only take a few jobs a month and turn everything else down. It's fairly lucrative to have a landscaping company and doesn't require a lot of start up costs depending on the jobs you accept. I mentioned it to my own mother, sister and friend of the family. I suggested we start a all female company and see if we can attract business. We're just tossing the idea around right now but we're all in need of money right now and we are all great workers so we'll see how it goes. I want to get together and see if everyone is really ready to put the effort out there.

I'm sorry about the lack of posts but my schedule and life in general has been so crazy the last few weeks since I lost my job. I'm trying to keep on top of things and get some money coming in. I don't want to miss my goals this month and I'm really trying. I apply everyday for jobs and am eager to find something soon. I even applied today for paper routes in my area as another side income stream. I just want to find ways to have money coming in from different directions all the time so I'm not relying on any one business for my lively hood.

It's been a long two weeks but I'm staying positive for what's to come :)

1 comment:

Canadian Saver said...

Congrats on the job! It might be better than you think, once you start :-) and the landscaping sounds like fun! you are right, there are definitely lots of opportunities for that.

Good luck getting everything figured out! I'm working 3 different jobs right now until I get in permanently at my main job. The extra income from the other 2 really help.

Keep us posted!