Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Hydro Bill

Last week I checked my PO Box and saw my hydro bill sitting there waiting, looking all evil! So I opened it up thinking it couldn't possible be as much as last time because I've been turning off light switches and putting on sweaters like a mad lady. It went up!!!

I am billed bimonthly in this house. My last hydro bill was in the $250 range for two months. I understand that usage in the winter months are higher but damn! The only one we'd had before that was about $60. I was not expecting the bigger bill but I dealt with it. This time the bill was $309. Excuse me?

Now I am shocked at this because my sweetheart and I are very concerned about environmental issues and so we already were taking precautions to limit our energy consumption. We only have two heaters on in the house and close all the doors to rooms that aren't being used. When the weather is nice I hang everything to dry outside and then fluff it in the dryer for a few minutes. We do a lot of little things here and there... I would fall over to see our bill if I didn't I suppose.

So what do we do? Well I think a lot of this has to do with the house we rent. Its very old and I think the insulation is at a minimum. I can feel drafts and I know that we are just about heating our block the way it passes through these walls. There are still some things we can do better so its time to take action.

We have been discussing our hydro bill with close friends and family and they all have the same concerns as us. We were able to score some good suggestions and we need to start implementing them.

I will write a post soon regarding changes you can make in your home to help ease the pain of the electric bill. It will not only save some coins but also help conserve the environment. It's a win win situation!

No comments: