Pages

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Working The Polls

Today as I was riding the bus to work I spotted an ad while reading the daily paper. I love reading the paper on the way to work. It makes me feel more in touch with whats going on around me. If I get on the bus and there's no papers left I sulk. lol. Anyways.. the ad. :)

It was an ad run by Elections BC. They are looking for election officials for the provincial election on May 12th. I called the toll free number which directed me to the local offices here where I live. I was able to get a position right away. They asked if I had a friend to come along and work with me for fun and so I got my coworker a position too.

They are going to pay me $30 for training on May 2nd from 9-12. Then I'll be paid $230 for working the day of the election from 8am-8pm. I have to wait for the ballots to all be counted before leaving. I'm okay with that.

May is turning out to be a very lucrative month for me. Three pay days and now a little side income. I'm pretty excited to be doing this. I just found out they hired people this way during the last federal election and I remember thinking I would enjoy doing it. I get to meet people all day and see their expressions as they get ready to vote. I think that's awesome. I'll definitely be getting my vote in as well!

I've already let my boss know and he said it wouldn't be a problem. I'm glad that I have a nice boss who lets us enjoy our lives and isn't a tyrant. It would suck to miss out on the opportunity just because my boss said no.

If you live in BC and are interested the toll free number is 1-800-661-8683. Just let them know you want to be an election official and they can give the number and info to a local office. Better do it quick though. Some areas where I live were already full!

Or you can check out www.elections.bc.ca

2 comments:

ashley said...

That is really cool! I kind of always wanted to help in an election but never have so far. It's pretty neat too that it was such a spur-of-the-moment thing, and you just happened to see that ad. Good job acting on it instead of just letting the opportunity pass!

Dolly Iris said...

Yeah, I guess I was lucky to spot it yesterday because it wasn't in todays paper. I'm trying to jump at opportunities as they come my way. Life is short and I have a lot I haven't experienced yet.